Wednesday, October 14, 2009

How Do I Do It?

A lot of people have e-mailed me since my last post, asking how I saved so much money on my last grocery trip. The answer is simple(ish): I don't do the work myself. I owe all my grocery success to http://springsbargains.com/. It's a local blog, run by a lady in my church (although I didn't know that when I fell in love with the site!). Every week, she takes the sales from all the local grocery stores (at least six last time I counted), tells you what coupons to use with the sale item, and rates the price 1 - 5 on how good the deal is. So:
  1. I subscribe to the Sunday edition of the local paper (and I'm thinking about getting Denver's paper on Sundays, too).
  2. I label the coupons from the paper with the date and stick them in clear page protectors in a 3-ring binder.
  3. I read springsbargains.com and decide what my family needs for the week, or what we should stock up on for the future. Stockpiling when the price is good is a major rule!
  4. I use hotcouponworld.com to find exactly what date a particular coupon came out in the newspaper.
  5. Sometimes I print coupons from coupons.com or groceryguide.com if they have something that my insert coupons don't.
  6. Cha-ching! My favorite grocery store also puts how much you saved at the bottom of the receipt, so I don't sit around adding up how much I saved, just so you know. :)

For those of you who don't live in my town, maybe there's a local blog for your city. There's lots of good stuff out there on the internet if you look for it!

On another note, I dropped our camera a couple of days ago -- which isn't surprising, considering I was trying to take a picture of one baby while nursing another baby. :) Thankfully, we had planned on getting a new one since ours was 4 years old, and we actually already had some money set aside for it! However, that means you might not get some new photos for a little while. Sorry! I guess that means you'll have to look through my archives to see just how far we've come. Happy reminiscing!

2 comments:

Jenia said...

That is a great system you have... and obviously very successful:) I went shopping today at my favorite place... CP... and only shopped at the additional 50% off racks and also had a 20% off coupon. The coupon alone saved me $21.00! I just had to share:) !!!!!

Emily said...

Thanks for the advice! I'm determined to get better at this :)