Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Picture Perfect

This is Hadley, in a headband that I made out of baby tights for my sister's photography business. She obviously didn't like the headband, and was on the way to nap time before I even tried to take the picture ... so it's my fault for the crying ... but I think this picture is darling! :)

Last week, I sent this picture to a friend who doesn't have kids, and she replied by saying something like, "I like this picture -- I read all these baby blogs that make it sound like life is perfect with children, when you know it's really not!" (Sorry for the paraphrasing, Rebecca!) Also, at Thanksgiving, I told my sister-in-law that I'm tired of reading blogs of parents who make it sound like they have everything together. So, here is my admission: life isn't perfect, for me or my children.

*I haven't had eight straight hours of sleep (or seven, for that matter) in seven months. I'm sure Tony can count the number of full night's sleep for himself on one hand, too. *At least once a day, there is more than a few minutes (and sometimes much more) of crying in my house as I choose which baby to help/feed/hold, and which one can wait a few minutes. *A couple of months ago, Leila fell on her face from the couch to the floor. She wouldn't let me put her down for at least an hour afterward. *For two straight months, I barely left the house because it was already nap time by the time I was ready to walk out the door. *I got lazy with giving bottles to the girls, and now they have forgotten how to drink from a bottle. Which means I can't leave them for more than 3-4 hours at a time. And I'm leaving them for a week in May. (Bottle training: New Year's Resolution!) *Oh, and my other responsibilities, like cooking and cleaning? I bought 17 frozen pizzas on sale a little while ago, expecting them to last at least six months, and they're already gone.

Realistically, though, that's only a few things, and I have so much more than that to be thankful for! *I have happy, healthy babies, who sleep well and love to play. *I have a husband who loves his children so much that I think one of these days he just might pop. *I have a (huge) amazing family that I just got to see. *I have friends who are willing to visit me on days when I just can't get out of the house.

And that means, although life isn't perfect, and there are frowns in our house like Hadley's in the picture, the smiles outweigh them (almost) every day.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

And all I can say is...Praise the Lord for frozen pizza!!

Anne said...

How right you are, Heather! :) My 2 are a little older than your sweet girls (almost 3 and 17 months) and there are days that I feel I can't get US ready & out of the house so I won't be late to work...in all honesty, I'm late to work more than I am on time. Glad to know we aren't the only ones who don't have perfect kids & the perfect (though, in my opinion, I think it's perfect!) life. :)

Jenia said...

Love the picture.. it is so cute! If they were smiling all the time then life would be boring. I can't tell you how many times... a day... that I think of what I should be doing or have mommy guilt but you know the dirty house the dirty dishes the falls the crying are all a part of what make up life with kiddos. And it is all worth it and the dishes and the dust don't matter when you hear them laugh! I wish we were closer... i would come visit you! Love ya!

and, I agree with sarah! Love the frozen pizzas!

Melanie said...

I'll have to post a picture of Noah that is much like Hadley (though he was older)-- he was *very* upset because Jason and I had told him 'no' about something-- it's pretty funny! Btw, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if the kids were all quiet and well-behaved all the time-- and I don't think they would qualify as 'children' if they did behave perfectly all the time!

Abby said...

Heather, I love your blog! I haven't read very far yet but I plan to keep going back through your archives. I'm sure you always have plenty of blogging material with those 2 beautiful girls (even when they're crying!)