Monday, April 12, 2010

A Trick Up Her Sleeve

As we've established, Hadley and Leila are both thumb suckers. It really doesn't bother me. I figure it's easier than a pacifier, and they'll outgrow it ... and if they don't ... well, I'm not thinking about that yet.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me. Except for one thing. Leila MUST be holding onto her right sleeve with her left hand in order to put her left thumb in her mouth. See what I mean?

It's very complicated. I have no idea how she decided that it was just the best thing ever. With spring in the air, and summer coming quickly, I have visions of cute sundresses ... not sweaters.

You might wonder why I give in to this weird habit. Believe me, I have tried not to encourage it. I dress her in short sleeves when it's warm out -- and she screams for 45 minutes when it's time to nap (which, you know, is the most important thumb-sucking time). At that point, I go in, put her in a sweater, she grabs her sleeve, sticks her thumb in her mouth, and falls fast asleep.

I've considered cutting the toe off a sock and sliding the sock onto her wrist ... but that's just weird ... right?

So, faithful blog readers, any ideas? Any weird habits that your kids have that you just give in to? Any words of wisdom that my child won't be wearing a sock on her arm to Kindergarten? :)

2 comments:

The Gerster Family said...

I actually didn't want either of my girls to have a "comfort sucking" issue. I wanted to be that mom whose kids naturally calmed themselves. BUT that lasted for only a few days before I shoved a paci in Mia's mouth and called it good. Both the girls have wanted to suck their thumbs too, but I got to the point where I felt like I could eventually get rid of the paci which I obviously can't do with their thumbs. :)

My suggestion would be to try to get her to go to a paci. There are so many different shapes and feels in the paci and I bet you could find one that she would like. Then you could dress her in all the cute little dresses you can find. Otherwise, I think a sock would be just fine! Crazy? Maybe. But way better than you going crazy over her not being comfortable at this point. Doesn't seem like a battle I would want to fight! :)

Abby said...

I'd totally do the sock. Sounds like it would work, and it's NOT crazy, I promise. :)