Monday, July 12, 2010

Fever Pace

Yesterday and today, for the first time in her 400+ days of life, Hadley has a fever. It topped out at over 103 degrees yesterday, but it's been coming down ever since, so I'm just letting her sleep, eat, and drink on her own schedule, and we're waiting it out. Teeth, maybe? Nothing else seems to be wrong with her, and she's been pretty happy.

Since Hadley has been sleeping most of the day, however, I have an added dimension that I've never really experienced before: taking care of ONE child! Leila and I spent most of the day hanging out together without Hadley. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: parents of single children have NO idea what my life is like. To be able to wake up, snuggle over a sippy cup of milk, give undivided attention during meals and playtime, work on new skills, read books, and snuggle together again before nap time sounds like fiction to me. But today, I got a glimpse of it! It might actually exist! :)

(Leila helping me load the dishwasher. She's pulling herself up now!)

This story may sound grand so far, but here's the twist in the plot: Leila missed Hadley. She honestly didn't know what to do without her playmate. She needed me a lot more than either of them needs me on a normal day. She wanted to be held, to have my company while she ate, and to be in the same room with me at all times. During the hour or so that Hadley and Leila were awake at the same time, our house was filled with giggles and baby-talk. I was able to throw in a quick load of laundry without being missed. I ate lunch!

(Leila/Hadley -- catching up over the newspaper and, well, a thermometer)

So, while my book may have chapters of "singleton jealousy", the ending is always the same: I like having twins. I like my story. And I even have my own Prince Charming. :)


2 comments:

Jaime said...

It is so neat to see your life with twins! Just a little note, my kid had a random fever like that when she was about 15 months old. It ended up being Roseola (a common virus in children). Nothing to do except wait it out. Hope she gets better soon!

Anne said...

And I'm very glad that God blessed YOU with the twins. :) It's very evident that he only gives us what we can handle and apparently you are SUPERMOM. :) Seriously. It's very impressive to me whenever I see moms of multiples. They put my attempts to multitasking to shame. :D