Friday, November 5, 2010

The Results: Identical or Fraternal?

I cannot tell you how pumped I was this morning when the DNA results arrived! I refused to open them until I got Tony on the phone, and of course he couldn't call me back for about half an hour ... that was painful for me. :)

So, according to you, my faithful blog readers, 51.3% think that the girls are identical, and 48.7% think that they are fraternal. It was a close race the whole time! Our house was split, too -- Tony thought that they were fraternal, while I thought that they were identical.

The test has revealed that they are ....

IDENTICAL!

Crazy, huh? Statistically speaking, monozygotic twins who didn't share either a placenta or a sac make up 0.01% of the world's population. That's how unique my girls are.

A few other things: identical twinning is not proven to be genetic. It's random, nobody knows what causes it, and it's occurrence is not affected by fertility drugs. Having identicals also means that our chances of having another set of twins is extremely unlikely. If they were fraternal, our chances would be 1 in 12 (or slightly higher, depending on who you ask). Now that we know they're identical, our chances are 1 in 70,000. I don't know if that makes me happy or sad. :)

Also, "identical" twins is kind of a misnomer, as they don't share 100% of the same DNA. Scientists have discovered "variations", both genetic and environmental, which explains why "identical" twins don't always look exactly alike. The scientific world uses the word "monozygotic" instead of "identical" now.

I was going to post a couple of videos for you, but it's a busy day and I'm too excited to wait for them to upload. I promise I'll share again soon. So, what was your vote? Are you surprised?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

What fun news! And thanks for posting that info on the likelihood of having more identical/more fraternal. Knew it, but to see it in writing...GULP! That's pretty high right? One in 12???

Abby said...

Wow, what fun news! I was right! :)

Anne said...

Yay, exciting! :) Wonder what kind of tricks they'll pull on people as they get older. ;) Just kidding, I'm sure your sweet little girls would never do something like that!!!

Kate said...

That is so fun...aren't you glad you found out!?