Friday, December 3, 2010

Deck the Haul: My Christmas Challenge

Last Christmas, I read on my friend Anna's blog that Americans spend more on Christmas than it would take to provide clean, sustainable drinking water for the entire world.

Take a minute to let that sink in.

While we're not fully involved in Advent Conspiracy like many people, Tony and I agree: we are going to spend less and give more this year. And every year. However, we also want to celebrate with our families and friends by giving gifts. So here's what I came up with:

  1. We will set a firm Christmas budget, based on what we normally spend for gifts.
  2. We will give to our loved ones without skimping on quality, but I will do my best to get those items by spending very little money out of pocket.
  3. Whatever is left from our Christmas budget after gifts, will be given to a charity such as Samaritan's Purse.
So, you know I love to coupon, but I just raised the stakes for myself. And let me tell you, I am succeeding more than I thought was possible with this challenge.

I have a few more gifts to buy, so I'll wait until my shopping is done to tell you the results. I promise I'll write a detailed post in the next couple of weeks. But I want to encourage you to think about where your money is going this Christmas. Straight into retailers' pockets, spent on gifts that aren't necessary and won't be used? Or celebrating the real reason for the season, by giving to others who have needs that we can't even imagine?

1 comment:

brandyreneebruce said...

This is a great challenge!