Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Salt Lake City: Day One

**Now that we're home, I realize that this post was a little "rambly". I must have been tired. But I'm going to leave it as-is and let you enjoy my stream of consciousness.**

We're taking a pretty big trip with the whole family right now. As I write, we're in Salt Lake City. Yes, I know, it's not what most people consider a vacation destination (especially since we're not winter sport enthusiasts), but we found incredibly cheap airfare, and I wanted to fly with the girls before they were too old to be lap children on a plane. And that's the story of how we chose Utah. My plan is to blog every day while we're here, although I won't be able to publish the posts until we get back.

We kicked off our trip by staying a night in Denver, since we had to be at the airport by 5:30 am for our flight. Leila spent her time at the hotel making pretend phone calls. :) I worried about the twins getting up that early, but they woke up with the alarm just like Tony and I, and have been doing great all day long.


We checked the stroller when we checked in, instead of checking it at the gate. I thought it would be more hassle than help, but I definitely reconsidered when my arms were shaking from holding my 24 pound child and my bulging carry-on for miles. And miles. And then again on our way to baggage claim after the flight. Lesson learned.

We flew on Southwest Airlines. It might have been my first time on that airline ... I can't really remember. Anyway, the airline AND the twins were awesome! The flight was less than half full, so Tony and I each took one of the girls, sat across the aisle from each other, and had an entire row to ourselves! We had a fantastic flight attendant crew who kept "sneaking" stuff like crackers and juice to us. I think they really just wanted to keep visiting the twins, who barely even made a peep during the flight, thanks in part to Elmo.

Once we got to Salt Lake and checked into the hotel, it was definitely time for a nap. I gave the girls over an hour to fall asleep, and they never did. Not fussing, just hanging out, so once again, it's my expectations that need a change. By then, I was annoyed to the point of almost crying (Mommy wanted a nap, too!), so we piled in the rental car to get lunch and they fell asleep in the car. Hallelujah! I'm pumped that maybe, just maybe, the girls have outgrown the "I don't sleep in the car" phase. I guess we'll see tomorrow when we take a day trip!

So, after that, a great time swimming at the hotel pool, an early supper, and exhausted kiddos in bed without protest at 6:30 pm. Then, since our hotel is across the street from the Utah Jazz stadium, and there was a game tonight, Tony decided (with my blessing) to attend his first NBA game. I hope he ate a pretzel or some nachos for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

almost like being there...looking forward to day 2...mitzie/mom