Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Salt Lake City: Days Three & Four

I'm behind in getting these last two days out ... but I'm okay with that. :)

Happy Birthday to me! Our third day in Salt Lake City happens to be my birthday. Tony informed me that I could do whatever I wanted today. I chose to go to the Mormon Tabernacle. I don't think that's what he expected. :)

I wanted to go there to hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, since I'm musical myself. We walked over to the Tabernacle, only a couple blocks from our hotel, and were quickly informed that children are not allowed in the sanctuary when the choir performs because it's a live broadcast and the audience has to be quiet. So, Tony graciously agreed to wait in the visitor center while I listened to the choir. The performance was amazing, of course, although it felt pointedly non-religious. I was expecting to hear more about Mormonism. Anyway, when I went to get Tony and the twins ... poor guy ... he had to spend those 30 minutes being "witnessed to" by several sets of Mormon missionaries. He practically dragged me out the door. :)

After lunch and a nap, we went to Park City, where the Sundance Film Festival was just wrapping up. Unfortunately, we didn't spot any celebrities, and after enjoying their Main Street, we headed back toward Salt Lake City. On the way, we stopped to tour the 2002 Olympic Center, which was a little anti-climactic, but still fun.


(Our one attempt at a family photo. Yes, it really was that crooked.)

****************

Day four was our "travel home" day. We didn't do a lot before our flight left. We went swimming right after breakfast, then packed up. After lunch at Buca di Beppo (and a free birthday brownie!), we all napped, then headed for the airport.

Unfortunately, even the best laid plans of Heather VanHorn are susceptible to flight delays. Our flight was delayed by an hour, and our already "travel tired" children got even more tired. The flight home was less enjoyable, but even so, I'd like to think that nobody on the plane was giving us dirty looks.

The extremely hard part was back at the minivan. Thanks to the flight delay and a very slow shuttle back to the car, it was well past any normal child's bedtime, and Tony was desperately trying to reinstall car seats and scrape very thick ice from the windshield, while I tried to keep both of the cranky children occupied. I hit my limit when Hadley threw a tantrum at exactly the same time that Leila had a huge blowout diaper. *sigh*

Eventually, we headed home. And once we got moving, the girls gave in to sleep. And I got to take pictures of them sleeping, which always makes my heart happy.

No comments: