Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Should We Peek? You Get To Vote! (20 Weeks)

Eek! I'm so excited to be able to share this with you!

First things first, though. My (almost) 20 week photo! The last one you saw was at 15 weeks, and baby just keeps growing! I'm still bigger than my pregnancy with the twins, too. I'd say I'm about 4 weeks bigger. :)

I'm in that yucky clothing phase of pregnancy, too. None of my small clothes fit, and all of my maternity clothes are too big. You'll be glad to hear that I've been choosing to wear the clothes that are too big, but it makes me feel kind of frumpy. :)


Okay, on to the fun stuff! Tony and I have been discussing finding out whether this baby is a boy or a girl at our halfway ultrasound. He tends to be in the "find out" camp, and I waver back and forth constantly. So, here's the idea I finally pitched to him, and he went for it!

We have agreed to allow YOU, our blog readers, to decide whether or not we'll find out what gender this baby is!

Now do you see why I'm so excited? The truth is, I can go either way, so I'll be perfectly happy with whatever decision is made. I think Tony's a little nervous about leaving our fate in the hands of other people, but you have to admit, it's going to be a blast. :)

So, here are my arguments for and against finding out:

If we find out:
*It makes planning for a new baby generally easier.
*This is the best choice if we have a boy. We don't have any boy clothing, blankets, towels, or bedding. (Should have registered for gender-neutral items the first time around!)
*No matter which sex the baby is, it makes name selection a little easier when you know what you're having.
*The excitement is spread out, in a way. We get to find out what gender he/she is now, and we get to see what he/she looks like and have the excitement of having a new baby in November!

If we don't find out:
*We get to have the moment when the doctor announces, "it's a boy!" or "it's a girl!"
*I want to decorate the new nursery in primary colors, so gender doesn't matter in that respect.
*If we have a boy, we have enough gender-neutral items to get by. Plus, I think it's safe to assume that he'll receive gifts, especially since he'll be born within a couple of months of Christmas.
*I may go crazy trying to plan for all the unknowns. :)

Disclaimer: If, by some miracle, we find a second baby in there, Tony and I will make the final decision. I think you understand. :)

The ultrasound is on the afternoon of July 5th. Voting will close on the afternoon of July 4th. I believe you can only vote once per computer.

Our fate is in your hands! What's your vote? And be sure to leave a comment to share in our excitement!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't find out! I loved it when we were surprised by Isaiah! -Naomi

Charity said...

This is so awesome ..I'm so happy for you guys and can't wait to see if we get to know! Miss and hugs and kisses ~Charity

Anne said...

We didn't find out with our first 2 and found out with #3 (namely because we needed to know which bin of clothes to get ready and we had NO idea of what the boy was going to be named. I must admit though, I think I prefer not knowing. It was SO awesome when Tyler was born...the doc flipped him over and Matt got to see and very excitedly he said "It's a boy! We have a son!!!!" We were both thrilled of course. And we were really excited when Bria was born too...especially since I had a feeling she was going to be a boy. :) If God blesses us with another someday, I think I'm going to opt for NOT knowing until the arrival. :) Something else to look forward to, you know?

Grandma K. said...

Oops--I voted without consulting your father but I know he would agree. It's fun to have labor end with a nice surprise. Mom K.

Jenia said...

The Planner is me... has to know :) I like spreading out the excitement!!!

KarenRuth said...

I vote you should find out! We loved knowing. There are enough surprises with having a baby that it's nice to know the gender in advance...

Amy Cyphers said...

I really loved knowing...it made me feel like I was bonding somehow with my baby, and also took off some pressure, and I could relax and get ready. It is a surprise no matter when you find out, at 20 weeks or 40. :)

Abby said...

You're so fun!! I think it's great that you guys are leaving it up to us. I'm voting to make it a surprise...we found out with our first two but waited with the third, and I really think that labor the third time around was more "fun," if you can call it that. :)

By the way, you're totally cute and look anything BUT frumpy!

Anonymous said...

This is an exciting time for you both. Congrats. I voted for you to wait but only because I had 3 sonograms with Catie and each one said she was a boy! Imagine our surprise when she was a girl - at first I thought Dr Ohmart was teasing me. All those little boy clothes we bought did make a nice gift for a friend later!

Anonymous said...

Wait to find out! It helps to get through the last month of pregnancy and labor. There are so few moments of wonder left in life. One I was surprised about, the other I knew ahead of time. Both were equally gratifying!
Charlene

Joe and Maggie said...

I'm one of Jenia's friends, and even though I don't know you, I say find out! If you'd like the surprise, ask Jenia about our gender party!

Sarah Dene' said...

We were surprised with the first and found out with the second. God had boys planned for us all the way around. The surprise was the most amazing because I was finding out who this little person would be. The second he already had his identity before we got started:) Goodluck. Praying for your sanity!

Becky Grant said...

My vote is for you to save the gender surprise until delivery...just because you haven't experienced that yet! It is so much fun :)