Friday, October 21, 2011

Big Sister Backpacks

I didn't know if I was going to be able to write the post that I promised yesterday.  Last night, I had about 3 hours of mild, regular contractions.  (This is after a report from the doctor yesterday that I'm 3 - 4 cm dilated and baby is "nice and engaged" for birth.)  We cleaned up the house, packed our bags, put my sister (our "sitter") on call ... and then the contractions stopped.  After a night of sleep, the contractions are back, along with some other "early labor" signs, but nothing that makes me think Tony should come home from work.  I'm calling it "labor purgatory".  Am I in labor?  Am I going to have mild, regular contractions for weeks upon weeks?  Your guess is as good as mine.

So, as we get ready to send Hadley and Leila to Grandma and Grandpa's house for a few days after the baby is born, I want to show you the backpacks that I put together for them.  I've been thinking for a while that they would enjoy having backpacks (which will double as overnight bags when baby comes), but didn't want to spend too much.  Then I stumbled upon these nice ones, from Land's End, while they were having a great sale, which I combined with a discount and free shipping, of course.  :)

I made a little sign to go in the clear part:



Then, I wanted to include a new toy for their time away from home.  Using a Groupon (I can't actually remember which Groupon-type site I purchased it from), I got them each a Melissa & Doug Hide & Seek Board.  I haven't shown the boards to the girls, but I think they're going to love them.  And I love that they have hinges, so there aren't any pieces to lose!



Last, I purchased two cheap shirts at Walmart, and using the same design as the backpack signs, I made two iron-on transfers for the shirts.  My plan is for the girls to wear them to the hospital when they visit Baby Sister for the first time.  Darling!




So, all of those things are sitting in their new backpacks, ready to go, whenever the time comes.  Can't believe my babies are getting ready to be big sisters!  They're going to do great.

No comments: