Monday, November 7, 2011

Marlowe's Story


For those of you who like to know the birth story ...

By Halloween night, I had been experiencing early labor sporadically for twelve days, even though my "official" due date wasn't until November 5th.  I was tired of the anticipation and the Braxton-Hicks.  That evening, we went to a fantastic first birthday party for our friends' daughter.  Leila must have eaten too much candy, because on the way home she threw up, and continued to throw up randomly for the next 3 - 4 hours.  Thankfully, she fell asleep around midnight and didn't wake up again.

As Tony and I were heading to bed, I mentioned that my groin and lower abdomen muscles had been really hurting throughout the day, and wondered out loud how long I'd have to put up with it.  Just another early labor symptom on top of all the other symptoms I already had, I figured.

At 5:30 am, I woke up to use the bathroom.  On the way back to bed, I had an extremely strong contraction, but chalked it up to early labor and laid back down.  I continued to have contractions until Tony woke up for work at 6:30 am.  I mentioned the contractions but said that he could go ahead and get ready for work.  By the time he was out of the shower, I asked him to stay home for a couple of hours so that I could decide whether this was true labor.  By 7:00 am, I was calling my sister to ask her to come stay with the twins while we went to the hospital.

We got to the hospital at about 8:00 am.  My contractions were three minutes apart and I was dilated to 6 centimeters, so at 8:50 am I was officially admitted.  We were taken to our labor and delivery room, where I almost immediately received an epidural.  (I considered doing natural labor since everything was moving so quickly, but Tony and I decided together that an epidural was the best decision for us, and in hindsight, I still think it was the best decision.)  As soon as the epidural had been administered, the doctor came in, checked me, and announced that I had reached 10 centimeters -- it was time to start pushing!  So, about four hours after the first contraction, and an hour after being admitted to the hospital, with my parents and another sister in the waiting room, we were having our baby.

I want to pause here and mention how different a single, vaginal birth is from a multiple birth that starts with a vaginal delivery and ends with a c-section.  I mean, obviously, that sentence speaks for itself, but I was truly shocked when there was only one nurse in the room with Tony and I for 99% of the birth.  She was fantastic, but I kept looking around, thinking, aren't there supposed to be more people here?  It was actually quite peaceful.

I pushed for nearly two hours, which of course was exhausting.  (Although I will say that it wasn't stressful or worrisome.)  Tony was a fantastic teammate and support.  During those last few pushes, we both had tears in our eyes as we anticipated our little one's arrival.  Wait -- did I say little one?  Because we were all shocked when our HUGE daughter arrived -- all 9 pounds of her!  Marlowe Grace had a full head of brown hair, and was just gorgeous.  (Still is!)  I couldn't believe the difference between her and the twins, in every single aspect.  She was healthy, and there were no concerns about her in any way.  We were discharged from the hospital about 30 hours after we were admitted -- much better than the 16 days that the twins spent there!


Now, five days later, I feel so blessed to have had a healthy, full-term pregnancy with an uncomplicated delivery.  And even more blessed when I look at my three beautiful daughters and the man that I'm raising a family with.  Now, if only I was getting a little more sleep ... :)

3 comments:

Abby said...

Sounds like it couldn't have gone any better! So happy for you! And that Marlowe...wow, she's just gorgeous.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness, look at that head of hair! She's beautiful! :)

Melanie said...

What a beautiful, precious little girl! Congratulations to you and Tony, and I am glad the labor and delivery went so well for you-- what a blessing! Can't wait to see you all in December!!!