Monday, November 4, 2013

Mars Birthday

A few months ago, I mentioned to Tony that I should decide on a theme for Marlowe's second birthday party before Cecily was born, because I knew I'd be a walking zombie after her birth.  Without hesitating, he suggested Mars.  After a "no, seriously" from me, I realized that he meant we should build a theme around her nickname (Mars, of course) -- so, an outer space theme was born.

I started with some paper lanterns, hung to look like planets:

Then I ordered some Mars bars.  Remember these?  They don't make them in the US anymore.  These were shipped from England.

Bought some star paper and whipped out a banner and some pennants: 

No party is complete without cake pops from my sister Melissa!  Aren't these awesome?

I had my mom draw an alien on the mirror at the last minute.  :)  That's Paula, sister and photographer extrordinaire! 

  And here's the completed dessert table!

Marlowe sang along to "Happy Birthday".  I didn't have a cake this time, so no candle.  



I made a rocket out of cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, and cardstock.  It was a big hit with the kids!

We always request "no gifts, please" on our birthday invitations (which the girls' grandparents always ignore).  :)  This was Marlowe's gift from Tony and me -- a rocking airplane.  I bought it from a Craigslist-type site, new in the box, for super cheap!  She and all the girls love it.

We had so much fun, celebrating our two-year-old with our family!  Marlowe had a blast, too -- she's a total ham when there's a crowd, and she enjoyed having the spotlight all to herself!

1 comment:

Emily said...

How cute! And quite impressive, so soon after Cecily's birth!