Friday, February 21, 2014

Reasons Why My Baby Is Too Distracted To Nurse



My first breastfeeding experiences were fairly easy.  With the twins, the initial learning curve was hard -- for me and for them, since they were too small to nurse effectively at first.  (And there were two of them!)  But once we got it figured out, we didn't look back.  Marlowe was born hungry and hasn't stopped eating since.  :)  But Cecily is a different baby.  The nerve -- having different needs when you're a fourth child!  :)  She nurses easily, but she's just not very interested in eating sometimes.  I finally figured out that she likes to be alone in a quiet room when she eats, and that works well for us.  But until I figured that out ... well, here's my list of "reasons why my baby is too distracted to nurse".  True story.
  • There's too much activity going on.
  • We're in a new place.
  • We're in the car.
  • We got a new light fixture and she can't stop staring at it.
  • The lamp is on and she can't stop staring at it.
  • The sun is shining in the window and she can't stop staring at it.
  • Tony is in the room and she can't stop staring at him.  (He is handsome!)
  • She's too tired.
  • My let-down is too hard.
  • She prefers the left side.
  • She's covered up.
  • The heater turned on.
  • She doesn't have clothes on.
  • Her fingers are more fun to suck on.
  • I'm laying down.
  • I'm talking.
  • The television is on.
  • She thinks I'm funny / she can't stop smiling.
Don't let her fool you, though -- she's near the top of the growth chart for height and weight, so we're doing something right.  :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Heather! I was hoping you could answer my question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)